5th August 2011: The Anorexic Brain and Why Obese Westerners are Starving by Mike McInnes
Name of speaker and subject:
Title of talk:
The Anorexic Brain/Obese Body Paradox.
- Modern Obesity is Driven by Chronic Unsatiated Cerebral Hunger.
- Cerebral Hunger Results Not From Food Deprivation, Rather From Food Excess.
- Excess Refined Carbohydrate Consumption Leads to High Circulating Glucose (Hyperglycaemia) which Causes High Circulating Insulin (Hyperinsulinaemia).
- Hyperinsulinaemia Prevents Glucose Uptake into the Brain, Causing Chronic Cerebral Hunger or Chronic Cerebral Semi-Starvation.
- Cerebral Hunger Activates Stress and Stress Activates Increased Appetite.
- A New Episode of Eating Causes Hyperglycaemia, and Resultant Hyperinsulinism, Causing Increased Cerebral Hunger.
- Modern Processed Food Consumption is Inversely Proportional to Cerebral Energy Provision.
- The Cycle Repeats: The More Food Consumed the Less Energy Enters the Brain.
- The Brain Reduces Cerebral Energy Metabolism by Liquidating the High Energy Consuming Regions, these are the Learning/Memory Regions, as a Survival Strategy.
- Dementias and Alzheimer’s are Simply an Expression of this Strategy.
- The Paradox of Modern Metabolic Impairments is that of the Anorexic Brain/Obese (Orexic) Body
Websites and / or texts where
further information may be found:
A few words about you and your passion:
Mike McInnes is a Scottish pharmacist who has been studying the biology of the brain liver axis for some years. There are emerging areas of biological study which are casting new light on why the body acts certain ways under certain conditions. Having worked in Pharmacy for several decades and then moved into the area of sports physiology.
A few lines about the history of your subject:
The study of physiology has gone on for millenia, many of the discoveries culminating in the birth of the age of digital technology. With more information collected together and made available to so many people, the possibilities to arrive at a joined up conception of the human body are causing various emerging understandings.