9th Mar 2012: Forum Theatre by David Roberts
Name of speaker and subject:
Title of talk:
Forum theatre in practice
Bullet points of what you would like to cover:
- The benefits of using forum theatre within a theatrical setting.
- The social benefits of using forum theatre
Suggested you-tube links, websites and / or texts where further information may be found:
- Theatre of the Oppressed
- Augusto Boal Resource Pack
- Augusto Boal Theatre of the Oppressed Dissertation by Jacqueline D. Burleson
- International Theatre of the Oppressed Organisation
- edgeeradica Youtube channel
A few words about you and your passion:
I have worked in theatre for many years, working with theatre workshop before leaving to pursue a freelance career using forum theatre skills to produce, create and present work.
A few lines about the history of your subject:
Forum theatre was created by Augusto Boal as part of the theatre of the oppressed, a wider theatre practice. originally used in Brazil, it gained wider use after Boals involvement with the European theatre school,Â Theatre of the Absurd. Boal was also influenced by the work of Paulo Friere, which was especially the case with forum theatre techniques.