6th March 1931: Winston Churchill opens the new Edinburgh Settlement extension
Here is a photograph of when Winston Churchill opened the new Edinburgh Settlement extension in the form of Cameron House. Cameron House sits on Cameron House Avenue among public housing in the Prestonfield district of Edinburgh. It was built in 1770 for the Dick family who were owners of the Prestonfield estate and the nearby Prestonfield House.
In the history of Edinburgh Settlements, it was used to develop a vision of social service plans where students worked with the mentally handicapped. You can read more about this history by in another article:
Winston Churchill (30 November 1874 – 24 January 1965) was a British statesman who was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. Churchill was also an officer in the British Army, a non-academic historian, a writer, and an artist. He won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1953 for his overall, lifetime body of work. In 1963, he was the first of only eight people to be made an honorary citizen of the United States.
Norman Kemp Smith FRSE (1872 – 3 September 1958) was a Scottish philosopher who was Professor of Psychology (1906–14) and Philosophy (1914-19) at Princeton University and was Professor of Logic and Metaphysics at the University of Edinburgh (1919–45). Born Norman Smith in Dundee, he added his wife’s last name when he married Amy Kemp in 1910. He is noted for his English translation of Immanuel Kant’s Critique of Pure Reason.
David Wilkie (1882–1938), was among the first of the new breed of professors of surgery appointed at a relatively young age to develop surgical research and undergraduate teaching. At the University of Edinburgh, he established a surgical research laboratory from which was to emerge a cohort of young surgical researchers destined to become the largest dynasty of surgical professors yet seen in the British Isles. He is widely regarded as the father of British academic surgery.
Completing her school education in Edinburgh, she went to London for training in social service, and on to Bristol to finish it. She took her diploma at the School of Social Study in Edinburgh, however, and in 1911, competently qualified, she began the kind of work nearest to her heart at the University Settlement, High School Yards. When the 1914-18 war interrupted her career, she went to London and managed to fulfill a long-cherished desire for experience in public health work and the care of children.
Dr James Watt was one of the outstanding personalities of Edinburgh life for nearly half a century. He died on December 3, 1945, in his eighty-third year, after a long illness against which he struggled gallantly. One of the most remarkable things about this notable man was the variety of his interests and the keenness with which he entered into all his activities. His professional engagements were numerous and onerous, and would have engaged the whole of the energies of a lesser man, but, apart from law, his interests covered science, the university, finance and commerce.
Thomas Henry Holland (22 November 1868 – 15 May 1947) was a British geologist and educational administrator. In 1890, Holland was appointed Assistant Superintendent of the Geological Survey of India and curator of the Geological Museum and Laboratory. From 1929 until 1940 he was Principal of Edinburgh University. In 1930 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. His proposers were Sir James Alfred Ewing, Sir Edward Albert Sharpey-Schafer, Ralph Allan Sampson and James Hartley Ashworth. He served as the Society’s Vice President from 1932 to 1935. He won the Society’s Bruce Preller Prize for 1941.