Here is a photograph of when Winston Churchill opened the new Edinburgh Settlement extension in the form of Cameron House. Cameron House sits on Cameron House Avenue among public housing in the Prestonfield district of Edinburgh. It was built in 1770 for the Dick family who were owners of the Prestonfield estate and the nearby Prestonfield House. Read more
The Settlement is an arm and hand of friendship which the University, as a community, stretches forth to the wider world of Edinburgh. The University is a tidy and recognisable community in which common interests are readily recognised – not only in learning, and educational matters, organisational and administrative problems, but in preparation for life for some and progress in careers for others. Read more
Owing to the War and the need of avoiding unnecessary expense, no report of the Settlement work was issued in 1918, and it is now necessary to report on two years. The Report for 1917-18, which describes the details of the work, is, given in full, but that for last year, in which the same activities were continued, has been cut down in order to avoid repetition and to economise in printing. Read more
Scotland’s first “adventure playground,” modelled on Scandinavian lines, is to be established in the Craigmillar district of Edinburgh next year. It is part of the Edinburgh University Settlement’s plan to create in the Niddrie and Craigmillar districts a number of projects designed to make life fuller and happier for young people, said Mr Jim Brunton, leader of the scheme, in Edinburgh yesterday. Read more
1. The objects for which the Association is formed are to carry on social, educational, and religious work in Edinburgh; to inquire into the conditions of the poor; to promote, particularly among graduates and students of the University, the study of social problems, and, to consider and advance plans calculated to further the welfare of the community.
2. The Association shall be strictly undenominational. Read more
“One of the earliest charity shops in the UK was set up by the Edinburgh Settlement in 1937, when ‘Everybody’s Thrift Shop’ was opened at 79a Nicholson Street, Edinburgh. Red Cross charity shops became widespread in Britain during the Second World War, whilst Oxfam established it’s first charity shop in 1947. When the Settlement’s shop first opened in 1937, people queued for an hour beforehand in anticipation and police were on hand to ensure that stall-holders were not overwhelmed.” – Report from ‘The Scotsman’, 27 April 1937. Read more
A continual hammering, the sweet smell of wood-shavings, groups of men busy at a dozen benches, cupboards, chests of drawers, toys, photograph frames, and dozens of other articles in the process of being made, men whistling, or chatting amiably with their neighbours, men “queuing” up to get the advice of the instructor, one man assisting his neighbour in a particularly ticklish bit of work—these are some of the scenes which will greet you in the Carpentry Room at Kirk o’ Field Occupation Centre. Read more