Free Repair Surgery at The Edinburgh Remakery
The Repair Surgery is a FREE weekly drop-in event that takes place at The Edinburgh Remakery every Thursday from 6pm to 8:30pm. The purpose of the Repair Surgery is to help people mend their belongings, primarily textiles (such as clothes) and IT equipment (such as laptops).
How does it work?
- The Repair Surgery is a drop-in, which means you do not have to make an appointment, just come along with your item and our expert volunteers will help you from there!
- We run on a first-come first-serve basis and we’re open to everyone, so if it is a busy evening you may have to wait a short while. We advise that you arrive before 8pm if you are bringing along any IT.
- This is a free service but we wouldn’t be able to keep it running without donations. We ask that if possible, you donate
whatever you can afford and feel is appropriate
for the help you have received.
All donations are gratefully received.
- We love repeat customers, however we are limited for space and the Repair Surgery is not a weekly club, so please only come along if there are specific items you need help with.
What can we help with?
- Our sewing tutors can help with repairs and minor alterations; such as replacing a button, sewing on a patch, mending a rip,
and taking up trousers.
- We have a small supply of replacement buckles, buttons, Velcro, darning wool, and zips, but cannot guarantee to have the right size, type and colour.
- Our computer tutors can help with any kind of broken electronics including laptops, desktops, tablets, smartphones, printers, monitors, TVs e-readers, Macs, Iphones, Ipads, Ipods, and game consoles.
- They cannot help you with electrical goods like irons, food processors, radios, hair straighteners etc.
- We do not teach people how to use software (for example programmes like WordPress, Photoshop, AutoCAD, etc),
and there is no public wi-fi available