Navigate / search

1933 to 1934: Edinburgh Settlement Annual Report; Kirk O’Field; An Impression

A continual hammering, the sweet smell of wood-shav­ings, groups of men busy at a dozen benches, cupboards, chests of drawers, toys, photograph frames, and dozens of other articles in the process of being made, men whistling, or chatting amiably with their neighbours, men “queuing” up to get the advice of the instructor, one man assisting his neighbour in a particularly ticklish bit of work—these are some of the scenes which will greet you in the Carpentry Room at Kirk o’ Field Occupation Centre. Read more

1933 to 1934: Edinburgh Settlement Annual Report; Kirk O’Field College

After the official opening by Sir James Barrie on the 28th October 1933, the College opened for the enrolment of students. By the end of the first week 300 students had enrolled, and by the 27th November the number was in­creased to over 400. We discovered that although the first programme covered a large number of subjects, it was in­sufficient to meet the needs of students. Read more